Self-Sufficient

Steven - Pepperell, Massachusetts

Self-Sufficient

If you ask anyone they will tell you that I am obsessed with my truck. I wash it often, put the money in it to repair it, and basically do everything to keep it in good shape. To me, it seems like other do not appreciate their cars nearly as much. I have friends whose cars are always trashed and have not been cleaned out in ages. In my opinion this is because they did not have to sacrifice anything to get their cars. My close friend has an Audi A6. He doesn’t seem to understand how lucky he is to have such a nice sports car. This is because his parents bought it for him. Granted, he is supposed to pay them back, but we all know that will never really happen. Because he did not buy it himself he can not appreciate it as much.

Buying my first car was a huge event in my life. For many years before I acquired my license I saved most of the money I made over the summer. When it came time to start searching for the perfect car I had saved nearly 4,000 dollars. I dreamed of buying an old Trans Am, or trying to find a cheap Mustang to fix up, but I soon realized that was out of the question. So, I traveled from dealership to dealership in search of the perfect car. To my surprise, I didn’t find it in a used car lot, but on the side of the road. On the way home from another disappointing day of searching, I spotted a 1997 Ford Ranger. The car was near spotless, had subwoofers, an expensive radio, chrome rims, a remote starter, basically everything I could ever want. I knew immediately that this was the truck I had been dreaming of. After some negotiating, my dad and I persuaded the seller to reduce the price from five to four thousand. This was a price I nearly paid by myself.

I believe you have to work for the things you want in life. If your parents always buy everything for you, you will never truly be happy. I learned this concept at a very young age. From the time I started working for my grandfather my parents started making me buy my own things. At first this was very annoying but over time I started to become proud of what I was able to obtain. It is a parent’s responsibility to teach this lesson to their kids. It is not my friend’s fault that he does not appreciate having an Audi, it is his parents. Buying your own things comes with a sense of accomplishment and pride. I hope someday my friend and everyone else out there has a chance to understand what I’m talking about.