Dance is Me

Chelsea - santa rosa, California

I believe in dance as an expression of who we truly are. Dance allows us to explore, to mess-up, and to express. Chances we don’t usually get and hardly ever take.

Dance allows for exploration. Dancers explore new roles each time they dance. When I dance I can be whatever I want to be. I can be happy, sad, wild, or shy. There is no end to the possibilities. Dancers are also always exploring with new movements.

Choreographers expect a dancer to learn the choreography in a short amount of time. Even if it means teaching yourself to do a leap or a turn, as long as they don’t need to change the piece, that is what they expect.

Dance allows for mess-ups. When I am dancing, I am not thinking about the days’ woes, I am only thinking about the dance and what I can do to make it look better. I throw myself into the dance. I concentrate on every aspect of myself: my arm shape, my arches, my posture, everything until I am sure it will look perfect. Then I focus on the movement itself. I am not afraid to mess-up because the dance studio is the most forgiving place I know. And because I know that in dance there is always room to improve.

Dance allows for expression. “I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep to find for words” (Ruth St. Denis). When I dance I am me. I do not need to explain in words the message of my dance. It is conveyed clearly though the movements, the music, and most of all through my expressions. It gives me the opportunity to express myself. It is the only time I feel like I can truly convey what I am feeling.

Dance is the expression of who I am. I am always dancing: on stage, on the phone, in my room, everywhere. It is who I am. I dance for fun, for performance, for exercise, but most of all I dance for me.