The Small Efforts

Krystle - Bristol, Tennessee

“Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country,” as said by President John F. Kennedy during his inauguration. This powerful speech was made to our country in hopes that it would influence the citizens to believe in their country, their communities, and most importantly, themselves. Although we may feel like we do not have the power, the dedication and the endurance to change our entire nation, we as a nation can help in the changing and evolution of the communities that we hold nearest to our hearts. The small and dedicated efforts that one may give to the community may make all of the difference to someone, somewhere in need.

When I began my involvement in my community, it was my opportunity to achieve the fulfillment in an extra credit assignment. Although the assignment was only to complete five hours of community service, I have now been volunteering with a domestic abuse shelter for over a year. Making a difference in someone else’s life and showing them how their time can impact the lives of others, is a fulfillment in its own. When I look into the eyes of a victim and see a glimmer of hope and strength, I believe that my time is more valuable now, than it has ever been before. The time that one might give to the community is a life changing gift to someone that may be a glimmer of love, respect, care and hope. You can make a difference, This I Believe.