Eat Your Vegetables

Caitlyn - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

When I was younger, I used to despise eating my vegetables. The smell and taste of broccoli, green beans, peas, asparagus, and brussel sprouts made me want to puke. Every time my family ate dinner, I would always dread this healthy part of the meal. I would eat everything around the vegetables, and they were the last thing on my plate. If my mom told me to just have three bites, I struggled placing my fork into them and never finished a whole serving. When my grandparents would come over for dinner, my grandpa would always tell me that I need to eat them or else I wouldn’t grow. My grandpa used to get very upset with me if I didn’t eat them, which made me think he didn’t like me. This also made me think that my grandpa had a bad attitude. Now that he has passed away and I have grown older, I realize that my grandpa was just trying to show me what’s best. Deep down inside I knew he loved me and that’s why I believe that a person should take advantage of what’s in front of them because you never know when it will be gone.

Today, I realize that humans take advantage of the smallest privileges. People get annoyed by others when they’re trying to tell you to make the right decision. However, that person should just take advantage of the fact that someone cares about them. Even though I hated my vegetables, I should have just eaten them because my grandpa was teaching me to be mature and make the right choice. Although he acted grumpy all the time, I realized I should have obeyed him. Now, I eat every meal with vegetables, and the whole plate is cleared. I think of my grandpa and make up for the veggies I didn’t eat when I was little.

Even though I didn’t realize it as a kid, my grandpa was one of the most important persons in my life. And today, I know that I should take advantage of the people I have in my life that care about me. I know my family and friends are always there to help me and tell me what’s right and what’s wrong. And I need to take advantage of the opportunities placed in front of me just like I need to eat my vegetables that are served to me because I never know when they will be gone.