I am me

Amanda - Thomasville, North Carolina

This I believe, I will never let another person tell me again who I am or what I will be. I married at the young age of eighteen. I fell in love with a man that I thought was my knight in shining armor. I woke to realize that he was far from a knight. He was not only mean he was abusive to me every day. He would tell me every day what I was to wear. My clothing had to be baggy and nothing could be showing. I had to wear my hair in a ponytail no matter what. He even told me when I could wear make-up and how I was to wear it. I lived in this hell of a world for far too long. I had to do something. I need to take my life back before he took it from me. I finally got up the courage to leave him and take back my life for me. This was a whole lot harder to do than I thought it would be. I lived in his shadows even after I left him. He was every where I was. I was free of him but he still had power over me and still ran my life. I finally realized that I had to take back my life and make it mine again. I told myself that no one can be me but me. I started to wear what clothes I wanted to wear. I wore my make up every day and cut off my hair. I stood up for myself and took back everything he took from me. I am who I am and no one can tell me different. I am me and that is all I want to be. I am women hear me roar!