Rights of the Unborn

Ashley - Newport, North Carolina
Entered on October 24, 2008
Age Group: Under 18
Themes: morality

On November 12, 1996, Amy Grossberg murdered her newborn son because the baby was unwanted. After a series of lies and investigations, the mother was indicted for murder and sentenced to prison. On that day, the same crime was committed over 3,500 times, yet no charges were pressed. The murders were considered legal; the victims had not yet been born.

Since abortion was legalized in America in 1973, Roe v. Wade has excused the deaths of over 48 million innocent lives. 7% of those abortions are attributed to health concerns, leaving the remaining 93% to be the result of someone not wanting the baby. According to the Declaration of Independence, the right to live is a God-given right that no government or law can take from any person. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court is adamant in supporting the right to privacy, which anti-abortion laws supposedly violate. In many people’s opinions, including my own, this is nothing but legalizing murder.

Abortion, by legal definition, is “the spontaneous or artificially induced expulsion of an embryo.” In everyday terms, it means the living baby is killed in the mother’s stomach before it has enough time to develop and have a natural birth. A pregnancy is divided into three trimesters, each being a twelve to fifteen week period. 90% of abortions happen in the first trimester, using the Suction Aspiration method. In this procedure, the 9-week old fetus, which has defined body parts, is ripped apart by a suction 27 times more powerful than a household vacuum cleaner. Surprisingly enough, this is the most humane technique, if it can be called that. If the mother decides to wait until the second trimester to have the abortion, the Dilation and Evacuation method may be used. This involves using forceps to twist and tear off the limbs of the baby, who is now approximately four inches long and is learning to control his or her own movement. The most gruesome method is the Partial Birth Abortion, which takes place in the third trimester. By this point in the pregnancy, the baby has skin, nails, and hair, and is almost ready for birth. The baby is pulled out of the womb so that the only thing left inside is the head. Scissors are then stabbed into the base of the baby’s skull and widened to create a hole large enough for a suction to extract the brains. The baby is usually alive and fighting until the very end of the procedure.

Assuming you read at an average speed, ten babies have lost their lives to abortion since you started reading this paper. As a country that claims to offer freedom and justice, America should not allow such an outrageous number of deaths to occur, much less legal deaths that any helpless baby is in danger of. This I believe: abortion is an act of murder and abuse that strips innocent lives of their freedom and rights. With enough support, these lives can be saved.