I Believe in Life

Robert - Cedar Point, North Carolina

I believe religions are taken too seriously. Many religions try to answer some questions whose answers are not easily found, like why are we here and what happens when you die, and also try to establish a proper way of living. A major problem with these religions is that they were created long ago. I can appreciate some of the values they advertise, but many people take some extreme ideas to heart, like how to punish homosexuals and how to treat your slaves.

People will mindlessly accept the ideas of religion mainly due to a religious upbringing, the fear of eternal punishment or the thirst for eternal salvation, or the need to feel like there is something more to life. The problem I have with large-scale religions is the way they cause many people to push aside personal beliefs for widespread ones. They can also distract people from the beauty of life. Some people only focus on what they can do for a good afterlife and forget to enjoy the time they have on Earth.

I don’t blame religions for taking away from people’s lives, but the followers of the religions take every word too seriously instead of following the good advice they present. I don’t believe in God; I believe in life. I make the best of the time I have and focus on being pleasant to others and forming my own opinions. I believe that this is best way to live. Appreciating religion without taking it too seriously can create a peaceful living environment for everyone.