Decisions…decisions

Simone` - Hazel Crest, Illinois

“Winners never quit and quitters never win,” my father said to me before my first high school basketball game. It takes a lot of determination for somebody to stick to a sport, and with this quote my father told me, I never quit a game. By the time I was 14 sports had changed for me. Freshmen year I moved up to the sophomore team and I had to play point guard, something I’d never done until that year. The point guard is in charge of running the floor, taking control of the game, and leading the team to a victory. As the pressure built up inside me before the first game I began to panic and I didn’t want to proceed with the season anymore. My nerves from me thinking about doing something I’d never done before made me want to quit on the team before I even tried. Finally it was game day and I had a choice. I could quit and wish the team the best of luck for the game or I could play the game and hope to win. Which should I choose?

The game is about to begin and it is jump ball. My knees began to shake and my arms started to quiver as I scammed over the crowd and saw all my friends and family watching me. I could hear my coach screaming out the first play from the bench and I didn’t think I could bare all the attention anymore. My fathers quote was embed in my mind and I promised myself I wouldn’t forget it. The ball had been tipped and it landed in my hands. I called out the play and immediately my teammates responded. I couldn’t believe what I was doing. Next thing you know, I throw a beautiful no look pass to one of my teammates. The crowd went crazy, and at the end of the game we won! Without my fathers quote, my life would be different, and so might have that game.