BE YOU EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN!

Meighan - Bristol, New Hampshire

“Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” My grandmother would tell me this all the time. She said that if you allow yourself to pretend to be the same you will never stand out. She also said that the more you fit in the less you become your own person. I believe that if you waste life being someone else your not living your life your living theirs. I believe that in becoming who you are as a person you must first be yourself.

When I was little I would always try to be like my friends. Wearing pink and painting my nails. It all was fun to me, being someone else. Once my grandmother found out she asked me why I had been doing it. I said its fun being someone else because people like her so they will like me. What I didn’t know then was that I would find friends that liked me for who I am not for someone else. My grandmother would always make sure that I stood out whether it was what I was wearing or how I was acting. Not once did I doubt myself after that, and I always try to be myself around others. That’s how you really get friends. You cant get friends that really like you unless you stand out as an individual. Which I have learned through my grandmother. My grandmother and I enjoy singing and dancing in the stores to music that comes on. If you think we care what the other shoppers think your wrong. We enjoy just being our selves no matter where we are. We do many crazy things together and I’m glad she taught me this valuable lesson. I would never had been standing out so much if she didn’t teach this too me. I would probably be one of those people that sits in the corner and wishes I was someone else.

I know that by learning this life lesson I will continue to be myself and stand out as an individual no matter where I am. I will continue to live my own life and not someone else and I will continue to be my own individual. I believe that in trying to stand out in the world you must be your own self.