Choice

Anna - Marieeta, Georgia

The day before I took my drivers test, I had two options. I could go to the 511 concert or I could prepare for my test. Of course I didn’t want to miss an amazing concert, so I went, instead of studying.

The next day I failed my test. When my father asked me, “Anna, do you think you made the right choice?” I shook my head in disappointment. I believe in choice and the consequences that come with it. Sometimes people know that a choice will end badly, but they choose it anyways. I knew I wasn’t ready for my test, but I still went to the concert.

When I was little, my sister and I would skateboard around our neighborhood. I had just gotten a new board, and I wanted to test it out on a hill in my neighborhood. Being in a rush to get out the door, I forgot my shoes. I just grabbed my board and left. I remember my dad shouting, “You can’t skate unless you wear your tennis shoes!”, but I ignored him. My sister tagged along, hoping that I would give her a chance to try the new board. We decided to ride the board at the same time, we both sat on it. I gave us a push and we went vaulting down the hill. We were halfway down when I saw a car backing out of its driveway, and we were heading straight towards it. Scared, I knew I had to somehow turn the skateboard. Forgetting that I didn’t have shoes on I slammed my foot down on the road and the board turned harshly. It skidded over to the pavement where my sister and I tumbled off of it.

My sister rolled over and faced me terrified. I was about say something when I felt a huge burst of pain shoot up my leg. I looked down and half off my toe was gone. A huge gash cut into my toe. A chunk of skin was barely hanging off by a few strings of tissue. I started wailing and screaming at my sister to get our dad.

She ran off, and I waited for what seemed like forever. I lay in the grass under the hot sun hoping the pain would go away. When my sister came back she told me that my dad had warned me and now I had to face the consequences. He told me to walk home by myself without help. Before I could protest she turned around and ran home. I tried to get up, but fell down. It was getting dark outside and I became dizzy. With my head spinning I passed out in the grass.

When I woke up I was in my dad’s bed and he was tending my foot. He looked up and saw that I was awake. Than he asked me, “Anna, do you think you made the right choice?” and I shook my head in disappointment.