Family Uniqueness Equals Success

Breanna - Tracy/CA/95304, California

I believe that my family shaped my ability to succeed, though not for usual reasons one would think.

I was adopted at the age of eight months old by a family that would contain a diverse group of people. My mom and dad had three biological children and adopted three, including myself. My Mom’s side of the family is Caucasian and my Dad’s side of the family is Mexican. I always loved my childhood, and even now constantly reminisce on all the great times I had, even small things I was able to do day to day; like swinging on the swing set in my backyard for hours or pretending to be in the forest with my younger sisters when we were actually just in mom Mom’s humongous garden, which we would later get lightly scolded for stomping in. Despite my happiness during my childhood, there are certain memories that as a child would constantly remind me that my family was indeed different than other people’s.

One time when I was a kid, perhaps around seven or eight, my Mom and I were at a Target store in San Jose and we were in the check out stand. I’m not sure why, but while she waited in line I had gone to either put something back or grab another item. When I came running back I couldn’t find my Mom and so I began looking for her in different lines. When I finally spotted her I began walking towards her when an employee, not realizing I had found my mother already, said “Your Mom’s right here.”, I turned around and found that she pointing at some other lady, to be specific, an African American lady. Being the expressive kid that I was even, back then, in a sort of rude way I replied, “That’s not my Mom.” as situations like this I’ve been in before, and proceeded to get back to where my Mom was. My Mom, being the altruistic person that she is explained to me later in the car that although getting looks when we’re out shopping, or out to dinner, especially when out with the whole family, isn’t necessarily the person’s fault because although it’s rude to stare or assume things, people tend to become both confused and baffled when seeing unexpected things, and will often times try to figure out how the situation fits, or works, like a puzzle.

Since I was a kid I wondered, ‘Why are people constantly trying to figure me out, like a puzzle?’ I’m not some predictable, inanimate object. Why are people questioning and ruining my happiness and uniqueness, which can’t be helped, as you don’t choose your family. Why should those people assume certain things about me? I’m capable of many things. Anybody is capable of many things. The possibilities are endless. I believe that people need to stop being shocked and need to stop trying to pinpoint all aspect’s of a person’s uniqueness like a puzzle, and instead embrace their own uniqueness for their benefit, like I have, as that is the reason for my successes.