Chelsea - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that abortion is not an option. I believe that it can be okay, and I believe that the cycle can be broken.

I believe that abortion is not an option. Some would say the line between abortion and murder is obvious. Some would say it’s a thin line, but a line nonetheless. And some, like me, see no line at all. I believe that the choice is in conception, not the life or death of a child. I believe that an unborn human is a human nonetheless, and with an average of 1.37 million abortions being done yearly in the United States (in 1996), I believe that this war on the unborn is raging out of control.

I believe that it can be okay. As a child, I watched my teenaged sister go through a pregnancy. I suppose that it can be said that the weight of the trials my sister went through could not be fully grasped by my immature eight year old mind, but pain and disappointment are universal.

And I saw the pain and disappointment in my parents’ eyes, parents that could not understand where they went wrong. But abortion was never an option, and they got through it. That was eight years ago though, and I never really got the chance see a reason for abortion because, everything was okay. But when my cousin, who is my age, told me she was pregnant this summer, I was faced with a dilemma, because I could now understand the seriousness of the situation, and put myself in her shoes. But, I believe abortion is not an option, so I told her that it would be okay, because that is what I believe.

I believe that the cycle can be broken. I believe that it is up to us to spread the message that abortion should no longer be used as a quick fix like it once was. And with 20 percent of abortions reported being performed on teenaged girls, I believe that it is up to everyone to show younger generations that abortion should not be an option.

So, you see, I believe that abortion is not an option. I believe that it can be okay, and I believe that the cycle can be broken.