This I believe

Ashley - San Antonio, Texas

This I Believe…

I believe that people should not judge other people by the way that they look or make stereotypical thoughts.

I believe this because everyone lives their own life. We don’t know what other people go through in their lives. We have no reason to judge other people when we don’t know what struggles they have to go through. I’m not going to lie, I have judged people before and I do regret doing it. I regret it because I know people judge me on a day-to-day basis. I can tell by the way that people look at me, and even the way that people will speak to me.

My freshman year, I hung around with the wrong, made a few mistakes, and ended up getting suspended. When I came back to school, some people started calling me “ghetto” [as if they know the real definition] for getting suspended. They called me ghetto also because of the way that I dressed. Teachers looked at me differently, and would say that maybe I can’t take honors classes because my head is too busy with gang stuff. Even my own mother started treating me differently.

Everyone started judging me, when in reality, no one really knew me. Only I do! So I feel that to all the people who called me ghetto were saying that because they probably grew up using proper language, and having all of the resources that they needed in times in need. If that’s all they know, and then they are finally exposed to something new, it is immediately “ghetto.” I believe that the teachers who said that I shouldn’t be taking honors classes were wrong, because at the time, I wasn’t making the right choices and my mind wasn’t in the right place. I proved them wrong because now I’m writing this essay in an AP class.