Friends

Thomas - Swansboro, North Carolina

I believe that friends are the most important necessity. I would not have been able to move half a dozen times without friends.

In the military, you go where they send you. No questions asked. My dad is in the Marine Corps, so we have moved a lot. Every move I have gained, moved away from, and seen old friends. Almost everywhere I have moved, our family were friends with a family already stationed there. Until this most recent move, I didn’t know what being friendless was like.

We did not move into base housing in Camp Lejune, NC, where my dad was going to work, but in Swansboro, a small town that was halfway between Morehead and Jacksonville. We had good friends already stationed there but they were not going to my school. I thought I would be fine. I was wrong. The first day of school I learned, to my dismay, there were several groups already in place, nerds, cheerleaders, thugs, and several other smaller groups. Because most of the people had lived in North Carolina all their lives, the groups were very tightly knit.

I would not have survived had it not been for Boy Scouts. I had joined the troop the summer I moved and knew a couple of people going into school. One of those people rode my bus, but he was not on my team. I was very alone. That was, until I met some other military kids. I soon found a place in one of the groups and I was fine with it.

If I had not met some other people I would have been alone. I will not forget the feeling of loneliness I had in the beginning of seventh grade.

When someone new comes to our school, I will not judge them by what they appear to be. I will judge them by what they are on the inside. I believe friends are the most important necessity and I will keep this with me for the rest of my life, making new friends and keeping old friends with me, as I go.

This I believe,