My Best Friends

Diane - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: family, love

While packing my whole room into a couple of small boxes two thoughts ran through my mind. One, that I was a pack-rat and two, that I was so excited to leave that I wasn’t even going to miss my family. I have been ready to leave for college since the beginning of my senior year, and I was chomping at the bit as my time at home drew to a close. It’s not that I didn’t love home, but my summer had been pretty unbearable, and I think that made me a terror around the house. My sister and I didn’t get along very well, and I was more sarcastic and biting than I usually was. Everyone was ready to get rid of me!

The first week of college was tough for me. I had more homework in that week than in all my high school years combined. I was sleep deprived, and I was going to die from malnutrition. I was also living with three other girls that I had never met before. That’s when I really started to miss home. I missed my dad making up crazy songs to everything and playing the piano ever night while us kids were in bed. I really missed my mom’s cooking and beating her at Skip-Bo. Even though my younger sister and I never got along, I missed her spunky personality and driving around with her. I missed hearing my little brother stomping around the house and making the dog chase after him. I missed my older brother and his obnoxious humming. I missed my older sister and her listening skills. I think in general I missed the fact that they loved me no matter what. That I could be stupid or tell lame jokes and they always looked past that and loved me unconditionally. They are my best friends, who will always be there.