I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I CAN!

Kourtney - Cape Carteret, North Carolina

I believe anyone can do something if they put their mind to it and believe in their self.

I have been a cheerleader for about five years now, and I love it. It’s the one thing that keeps me going, even when it frustrates me. For example, when people aren’t serious when we stunt and they keep talking. If I didn’t do it I’d be lost.

I’ve always been a back spot when it comes to stunting, nothing else. I basically secure the back of the stunt group. I pull up on the ankles while the girl is in the stunt and catch from the stomach above when they cradle. It was the only thing I knew for a while. When I got involved with my new all star team I experienced every place in a stunt group. I was a flyer,( the girl in the air) a base ( the girl holding up the flyer), a front spot ( the girl in the front who helps out the bases), and of course a back spot.

This year was my first year flying, I was terrified. I knew everything I was supposed to do while I was in the air, but I started freaking out. My coach kept saying “I believe in you, I know you can do it!” With the help of her and my team members, I made up my mind that I wasn’t just going to be a back spot, I wanted to be the girl in the air that everyone paid attention to. My mind was made up, and I put my foot into the bases hands and squeezed my body as tight as I could. I did it; I was in the air flying!I couldn’t believe it. I continued to fly that night, and I got better, and progressed. My coach wanted me to 360 out of the stunt or spin down. So I once again had to believe in myself and set my mind to it. In one night I became a whole different part of the team and myself. I could do anything in a stunt group. I believe anyone can do something if they put their mind to it.

I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could. I came so far and I continue to go farther. I believe in myself and that did it. I believe anyone can do something if they put their mind to it.