Practice, Practice, Practice

Michael - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Practice, Practice, Practice

Drawing has been a part of my life for a Very long time. I have been drawing since I was about five years old. I have drawn everything from a stick people to elaborate sports drawings that are reminiscent of LeRoy Neiman, a famous sports artist. Drawing was difficult at first until my dad told me to “practice, practice, practice.”

Drawing was difficult when I was younger. I always wanted family members to draw something for me so I could trace it. I would really want them to draw mainly cars because I was fascinated by them at an early age.

I would often go to my dad to ask for help or to draw a picture for me. One day he pulled out a folder with some amazing drawings inside of action heroes in comic books like Spider-Man and Captain America and some he made himself. I asked whose they were; he told me that they were his from when he was around my age. I asked him how he did it, and he told that all I needed to do was “practice, practice, practice.” I have heard that saying before, but from other people. I didn’t really understand it. I soon realized what he meant. I started drawing cars and slowly became better at drawing them. I started to get away from cars and began to draw other things like people and places. Now I can draw, sporting events, concept cars, and even nature scenes too.

My understanding of drawing became easier, and I realized all the components to drawing just came from “practice, practice, practice.” When I look at something now, I can see the lines that object is made of, and I can draw it. Stick people were a thing in the past.

Just a little saying my dad told me when I was five helped me out in art and in life. I have come to appreciate this saying because now it is a part of my everyday life. It has taught me that if you ever want to succeed at something in life you need to “practice, practice, practice.”