Dont run from problems

Ellen - Marion, Iowa

I believe that you should never run away from your problems. Sometimes, as human beings, we become so overwhelmed, we just want a way out. A way to disappear and not worry about anything. At the age of fourteen, I was very naïve. I was depressed because I had had several things going on in my life at the time. I thought I was in love, as teenagers always do. I thought my way out was to go be with my boyfriend, so I had decided to run away from home. I didn’t say a special good-bye to my mom or anything; I just left for school that day as if I would be coming back home. I had my friend drive me to my ex boyfriends house, where I would meet my boyfriend. I couldn’t wait to finally be somewhere where I wouldn’t have any problems anymore.

But as the night went on, I became nervous and scared. I was down in my ex- boyfriends basement- it was me and 3 guys. Everyone had told me to watch out for them, but I was a teenage girl in love- why would I listen to what people were telling me? I had received several calls and texts from my mom begging me to come back home. I didn’t know what to do- I didn’t want to go back home because I thought I would be in so much trouble now for doing this, so I asked my ex if he had anywhere I could stay since I knew eventually I would be found where I was staying. He had told me I could ygo to his friends place, but there was a drug ring going around there and he had insinuated a prostitution house. That was the last thing I wanted to deal with. So when the sheriff called my boyfriend’s cell phone, I had told them where I was. I found myself missing my mom and my dad. I didn’t think it would be possible for me to live without my family. I was so homesick; I could hardly stand it anymore. When the cop came to pick me up, I gave them hugs and got in the car. As I walked into my front door at my house, my whole family was there. I searched frantically to find my mom, and when I saw her, my heart practically broke. Her eyes were red from crying. She was shaking. I ran over to give her a hug and that was the first time I had felt safe that whole day. I found that instead of solving my problems, this just created larger ones. My mom and dad let me have no more freedom, and in a way I can understand that. My mom got even sicker. There were more problems when I came back, but I did not run again. I strengthened myself and made it through everything. There are still many problems in my life right now, but I have not even considered running again. Running from your problems onl shows how truly weak you are, and I have learned so many things from that one event. Mainly, that you just have to be strong through everything, because it is possible.