This i Believe…

Drew - Ankeny/50021, Iowa

At a young age of my life I wasn’t all that great at sports, but with the attitude and the drive I put into hockey is what it’s made me today. Whenever I look back on what I was and what I have become today, there were a lot of changes in my life.

It all started when I was in ninth grade, and I first made the hockey team, the Des Moines Capitals hockey team. It was in the beginning of the year when my whole life changed around.

I went from being a skater punk to really focusing on what I wanted the most which was being able to be the best on and off the ice. I even started wearing nice shirt and I got brand new shoes, with a little help from my mom. I even throe my skateboard away for this team. When I first got the letter in the mail, it said that i had made the team and it was kind of like a congratulation type thing. thats when my whole attitude changed around, I started to work out every day. I started to care more and more about school, because I had to keep my grade point average up to play in the league. The first season went by really slowly because of all of the tormenting of the seniors and all of the other upper class man.

When the first and second season went by, I kind of missed them, because it was so much fun with all of the new friends that I had made in those years. I made so many changes and sacrifices, at first i didn’t really like all of the changes i went through i loved skateboarding, and working out every day was really hard on me and i guess i wasn’t really use to it. The first year I was on the team it was like being in boot camp almost we had to do all of this dumb stuff like taking off the upper class man skates. I hated it, but I guess it made me who I am today.

What this team gave me is being able to have an education, if I hadn’t of made the team I would probably be working at some job and going to school. It also showed me a lot of dedication toward something. I think when I grow older it might help me get a job because if you were to give some body your resume, they would look for responsibility in a man and that is the quality this hockey team has give me.