William - Springdale, Arkansas

Ever since I was old enough to know how to say the word architect, I have wanted to be an architect. I designed fake houses ever since I knew how to use a ruler and pencil. Lately, however, I have had a lot of pressure on what I should do when I grow up. Even though it is a much needed job, architects don’t always get paid very much, and since money is one of the most important things in life today, it is a good idea to pick a good paying job. My mom is always telling me to become an engineer, and I think I could be a doctor, but I don’t think I would enjoy being a doctor.

I remember a kid in elementary school whose family had a lot of money. As it turned out, his dad was a doctor. I started wishing I could be a doctor, but about one week later I was back to the graph paper designing houses. I love designing houses even if I don’t get paid very much, which brings me to my belief.

I believe that doing something that I enjoy is better than doing something for a different reason. This doesn’t just apply to picking a job. My belief applies to all sorts of things. For example, I’m in band. I play the alto saxophone and the bassoon. But a day never goes by without someone calling me a nerd and making fun of me for joining band. Some days I think maybe I made a wrong choice. Should I have pick EITE, or maybe PE? But I just remind myself that I wouldn’t have any fun in those classes. I would only be doing those classes because someone thinks I should, not because that’s what I love doing.

So I continue doing band even with the constant bombardment of being called a band nerd, but I get over it. And, as I mentioned before, the belief of doing something that I love being more important than doing something for a different reason applies to many different things.

For example, you know that kid in school that always talks about his latest hunting trip. And then there’s the other kid that walks up to him and hears him talking and says something like, “Why did you go hunting? You shouldn’t do that.” Then the first kid replies, “If you don’t like doing that, then you don’t have to. But I do like hunting, so I’m going to.” And then the second kid might say something in return. Or maybe just give the “hunter” a dirty look and walk away, but that doesn’t change anything. Hunters will hunt and architects will design.

It all boils down to one thing, doing something that I enjoy is better than doing something for a different reason.