Why I Don’t Lie

Zackery - Ankeny, Iowa

I can actually recall one of the very first times I ever told a lie. I was five or six, if I can remember it right. I had broken one of my moms favorite Precious Moments Figurines. The way I had broken it was because my friend and I were wrestling in the living room and my foot had kicked it over and it ended up losing its head. So I guess my mom heard something break because I could hear her get out of bed. So my friend and I ran into my room and turned on my videogame console and started to play.

When my mom called for me I came into the living room and acted really surprised. It looked like we had nothing to do with breaking. So then she had asked me what happened, and I told her that I had no idea. Then I said it may have been one of the cats. I couldn’t believe it that my mom had actually believed that.

So I got off scott free, but I ended up feeling bad that I had actually gotten away with breaking my moms Precious Moment Figurine. I still decided not to tell my mom because I didn’t want to get in trouble or get grounded.

At one point in my life, my friends and I had prank called the police. The first time we called the police no one had answered the phone, so we hung up and tried again. This time someone had actually answered, but we were all too scared to say anything so we just hung up the phone and went home. When I got home, my mom had asked me what I had been up too, and I just said “nothing.”

But a little bit later a cop actually come to the apartment complex I was living in and started talking to me with a very stern tone. After he was he left, and my mom grounded me and asked why I had lied. I told her I didn’t want to get in trouble, and then she told I would’ve been in less trouble if I wouldn’t have lied. So at that point I realized that I believe you should always tell the truth.

From that moment on I started lying more often in order to stay out of trouble. But the more lies I told, the more my mom had caught on. Later on in my life though I ended up realizing that lies weren’t even worth telling, because all they did was get me in trouble and sometimes would end up hurting people’s feelings.