Let it Go

Carrington - Ankeny, Iowa

When I was about ten I got in a fight with a kid. We were on the playground and he was talking about my mom so I hit him in the face. When my parents came to the school to they yelled at me. Then my mom said “You can’t let what people say get to you or you’ll never get anywhere in life.”

When I got home I thought about what she had said at school. I had always thought I had to get mad when people said stuff I didn’t agree with because it would make me a punk if I didn’t do something. But that day I realize I have to not let things like that hurt me.

After that I have almost always not let words get to me. Every since I not let negative things people say get to me thing are a lot better. I have had many times that I have had to bite my tongue on account of wanting to say something to someone, but I knew that wouldn’t make me feel better or make the situation better.

I remember a time where it was almost impossible to hold my tongue. When I was in middle school this Mexican kid would call me “nigger”, and I knew if I fought him, I’d be doing exactly what he wanted me to do. So I would ignore him that gave him no power over me. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to let go.

I think the reward of not letting what people say get to me is that I know people can’t control my emotions or me. They can’t make me mad or sad just by opening their mouths. Ever since I have started not letting words get to me I am not as mad all the time, and I am a lot happier.

I don’t think walking away or turning the other cheek makes me a punk. I think it makes me a better and lot happier person. I believe that if I only take in the good and not the bad that people say to me life will be a lot better.