I believe in Second Chances

Gaelle - Malden, Massachusetts
Themes: forgiveness

When my girls and I have our girls’ night, we always talk about things we should do, and shouldn’t do. I remember one of my friend asked, who believes everyone should get a second chance? Most of my girls raised their hands; I was the only one who didn’t raise my hand. I thought, first of all, if you know the things you were about to do was wrong, so what’s the point of asking for a second chance. I really didn’t get that.

Yet, I found myself asking for a second chance. I couldn’t believe myself. After my parents told me not to have a boyfriend at this age, not to even give them the time of day, that all they want is to use you. I still went behind their back; I dated this guy. He was four years older than me. He made me feel like didn’t show that I care about him, just because I couldn’t go see him whenever he wants to see me. He started getting mad at me saying that I don’t act like I have boyfriend.

Since I didn’t want to be a bad girlfriend. I had to sneak out behind my parent’s back to go see him. I had to stop hanging out with some of my friends, because he didn’t like the people I hang out with. If he called I had to pick up in the first or second ring. I remember my mom told me not to ever go to a guy’s house, unless it’s my uncle or cousin. But still I went over to his house. When I was there we talked, then we start to watch a movie. That’s when he started touching me. I didn’t feel comfortable, so I left.

When I got home, I was furious and couldn’t believe what just happened. I started realizing all those things my mom were saying were true like, ‘they don’t really like you, they just wants to get in your pants”. That day, I saw my mom looking at me differently. Did she know? I was so scared; I know she would kill me if she founds out. She started questioning me. She said she had a picture to show me. I was so surprised; it was a picture of me getting my boyfriend’s car. I didn’t know what to say to my mom. She started yelling, and screaming. I started crying badly; I was asking for forgiveness, but she didn’t want to hear from me. I went up to my room, and started thinking; I didn’t mean to hurt my mom feelings like that, I didn’t mean to disobey her. Would she give me a second chance for her to trust me again? It took her a lot of time for her to even talked, but eventually she did forgive me. I realized then that you don’t mean to do anything wrong it just happens and because of it I believe everyone deserves a second chance.