This I Believe is a hero

john - monticello, Kentucky

This I Believe is a hero

When you hear the word hero what thought comes to your mind: images, a relative, or maybe a stranger that may have saved your life at some time in your life. How would you define a hero?

I define a hero by someone who went above and beyond the call off duty, someone who laid their one and only life on the line or put themselves in harm’s way so that another might live, to see another sunrise. A hero to me is someone who is brave, selfless, and sometimes carefree. A hero would lay down his life for his brother.

Hero’s come in many forms and fashions. when I think of a hero I think of all the men and women who paid the debt that all men pay, death. Many men and women have died for our country so that we may continue to live feedom. Heros normally don’t mean to be hero’s they coincidently are there at the right time.

I believe when a hero sacrifices his or herself someone else they aren’t thinking of themselves, I believe that they aren’t thinking of the consequences of their actions in other words their not thinking about that speeding bullet or that live grenade on the ground they don’t think they just react with instinct.

Not all heros call themselves heros they just say that they were doing their civil duty, there not full of themselves and a not all hero get the full credit that they deserve. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying heros are just soldiers, your firefighters and everyday citizens.

Although I have never witnessed a hero in action, I have listened to many stories of everyday human beings risking their lives for another. From hearing the stories and eyewitness accounts of people that have witnessed a life saving event. John Piercy