katiec - USA

When I was younger I was much different than most girls. I had short hair. I played hockey and baseball, I wore baggie clothes, and I never played with dolls. In other words I was a tomboy.

I believe in being yourself. Being yourself is important because if you aren’t yourself then who are you? Most people wondered why I didn’t wear dresses or have long hair. I just didn’t want to. I wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt and play outside. I had no problem with standing out.

It is important to know who you are. I was never afraid to be myself and do stuff other girls would never do. People used to make fun of me because I didn’t look like a girl. I was never afraid to stand out because to me it was normal because I was just being myself. I was often mistaken for a boy. This hurt my feelings because I never understood why people thought it was weird that I didn’t dress like a typical girl. I used to play with boys, and girls would just look at me funny because I didn’t look like them. Most people thought I was weird, but others thought it was awesome that I wasn’t afraid to be myself.

There were many times when I had wished that I had never cut my hair so short, wore baggie clothes, and played “boy sports”, but now I’m thankful I did because it helped me figure out who I am today. If I had never been how I was when I was little I would probably not be who I am now. I’m not afraid to be myself even though it is scary sometimes because standing out isn’t accepted by many people. I figure why hide who you really are because it will make you miserable and you will always wonder what you missed out on if has just been yourself.

Still to this day people make fun of me because of what I looked like when I was young. I think what people look like or wear doesn’t matter. I believe in being yourself because if you aren’t then who are you?