Laughter

Ann - 22602, Virginia

This I believe……..

It has been two years since my husband died. This was a second marriage for both of us and finding a soul mate was very sweet . But once again I am faced with finding the joys and meaning of life by myself. Other people have losses, mine aren’t so outstanding, although I do think that I could have been on Oprah or even Jerry Springer with some of my life experiences. Which event is the most titillating ? my childhood when my family made its annual migration to Cuba’s Isle of Pines for the winter months and wintering was used as a verb, or being the talk of a small, conservative Virginia town following my divorce from a doctor, or being a survivor of two breast cancer episodes. So what is important ? Two breasts are not necessary, all I have to do is rummage around in my dresser for a breast in order to “dress up” for a special evening I do, however, wonder how a romantic conversation would go if I were to launch into “oh, by the way I have one breast……”. What I do know is that the response will have to include some laughter.

Maybe it is a black humor, but I am always relieved when it returns to me after a tragedy. I love laughing with my grand children when reading Skippy Jon Jones. I love laughing with my friends about gossipy things. I love laughing at my”senior moments”. I would like to see my adult children laugh more but they are serious about parenting, making a living and being responsible. I am proud of them but wish for all of us, that at any age, we find more moments of laughter. Grab those moments. It binds us together and gives us the courage to face life’s heartaches.

This I believe.