Recharging Your Battery

Betty - Columbia, South Carolina
Age Group: 65+

I believe in a quite time, a time to re-group. In this modern day, life moves at a frantic pace. We all must have a period removed from the stresses of daily living.

Computers often don’t work. Our computer is down; can you call back later?” If electronic machines can have a time of inactivity, why can’t humans? Just as a cell phone needs to be recharged, so do I; my metabolism is such that I can’t go, go, go. Twenty-four hours of rest, even twelve, is what is needed. You would think it would be easy now that I am retired, the children all grown, and on their own, and a husband that requires very little maintenance. Just a nondescript few hours is all I ask.

However, an ordinary day is becoming more and more out of the ordinary. With the arrival of September, the schedule becomes hectic with activities added every hour, or so it seems: church groups, book club, classes, and the endless trek to the doctor’s office. Internists, specialists with every pefix imaginable, the list grows with each year I add to my life.

So I have devised a plan: schedule nothing one day a week, usually a Monday or a Friday. That is a period during which I do not leave the house. I do my errands when I have commitments outside the home.

The only day set aside for me is spent any way I want it, but at home. I do map out my week, which requires organization, contemplation, and some long range planning. Otherwise, I do as I please. If I don’t want to get dressed until lunch time, I don’t. There are books to read, friends to call, notes to write, and menus to plan, all requiring very little exertion.

I may watch the birds at the feeder. The cardinal does a good job keeping the Carolina chickadee and the titmouse away at lunch time; however, the smaller birds have found, as long as they stay at one end of the feeder, they are safe.

Uninspired, I just sit and don’t feel a bit guilty. Might take a nap after lunch, look at the mail. The afternoon is gone: where did it go? I am tired. I think I will go and sit on the sofa, for tomorrow I must face another day.