Being Proud

Katie - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: sports

I believe that everyone should be proud of what they do, even if others aren’t.

I play golf for my high school, Varsity and JV. There are tournaments during the weak, varsity tournaments take around five hours and JV tournaments take around two hours. As a team we do try outs for varsity each weak. It’s a way to show how much skill you have and how badly you want the varsity spot.

That Tuesday I had a Varsity tournament and I didn’t play that well in it I could tell my coach was disappointed with how I played and I was even more disappointed with my self. The next day I had to try to put every thing behind me and just play the way I knew I could, but of course that didn’t happen I played bad again and even worse than the day before. By this point I was exhausted and very upset, because I knew I could have done so much better. What made it even worse was that day I had to get a ride home from my coach, you would think that it would be fine but no, the whole way home I had to hear about how bad I played that weak. So after the beginning of the weak being terrible it would have to get better, right?

Thursday, we had practice and it was picture day. My day was going good so far I had foods class, which I love to cook. That day my friend drove me to golf and my other friend was already there. My day then took a hard fall I got out of the car and my coach approached me and talked to me for 15 minutes(which felt like forever) and shared how he didn’t want me play and how he didn’t want me to try out for varsity and made it sound like it was so terrible that I wanted to try. He also shared how I didn’t try hard enough, when I thought I was doing my absolute best. So for the whole 15 minutes I had to pretend like I wasn’t hurt as my coach degraded my self esteem.

In the end I made varsity again I was proud of my self and what I had accomplished during the season. I practiced hard every day, I had golf lessons on Saturdays and I tried my best every time I stepped on the course. Even though my coach didn’t seem like he was proud of me, I was.

I believe that everyone should be proud of what they do, even if others aren’t. This experience has made me stronger and has shown me a different look at every thing I do.