I Believe in the

Dane - Wood River, Illinois
Themes: fear

I Believe in the “Boogieman”

Ever since I was a young kid I was always afraid of the “Boogieman.” I never knew if while I was sleeping, an unknown specter was watching me or not. All of the scary movies ruined my five-year-old mind and set false images of ghosts and goblins in my mind. At the time I didn’t exactly know what to call it, so I used the term my mom always explained as the “Boogieman.” As I look back now I can realize that I defined the boogieman as my fear of the unknown.

As I grow into adulthood, so does this unknown monster. This monster follows me in the form of apprehension; I never know what’s going to happen the next day. Growing up is a very scary thing to do these days, with shootings and the ever so real threat of terrorism. As I intend to go to college and live my life to the fullest, I don’t know what will happen at school. I don’t know if someone will make fun of me or call me on my faults, but I really can’t do anything about it. I could be getting ready for my first day of my long awaited college days and something possibly tragic could happen. This is why I’m afraid; I’m afraid of what the uncertain future may possibly bring, but I face it everyday with as much bravery I can muster. My life is a metaphoric war, as I fight the struggles of everyday life.

As I walk out the door both sides of the conflict, my feelings and the outside world, wage a painful emotional war that leaves me stronger than the previous day. This war gives me knowledge, and this knowledge helps in judgment. From this judgment I can apply it to my life and help dispel my fear. This fear will never go away though; this fear will follow me around and cast its shadow of doubt for the rest of my days. I acknowledge this fear, though, and realize that it’s going to be there. This fear will be there always because I am still growing and learning and questioning. I don’t quite know what the future may bring but I do have rough guidelines of what I want to do. These plans could change in a heartbeat. This is why I’m afraid; for this I believe in the “Boogieman.”