Tell Your Children Who You Are

Darcy - Clayton, North Carolina

They say communication is key. I am a firm believer in this cliché statement, and that the communication between parent and child is the most important key of all. Up until recently I was a somewhat ungrateful teenager who couldn’t care less about the reasons behind my mother’s and father’s parenting. In the past few years, as life got a little rough around the edges for me, we developed a closer bond, and I began to realize just how important it is for me to understand where my parents come from, and who they really are.

My mother is not just a mother of four children. She has been the wife to the man she loves for more than thirty years. She is the daughter of a very unmaternal mother. She is the eldest of six children. She was a fourteen-year-old girl when she lost her father while he was serving our country in Vietnam. She is a woman who has overcome struggles. Now, most importantly to me, she is a woman, and a mother, who is helping me find myself and overcome my own struggles.

My father is not just a father of four children, and a daddy who knows the answer to every question. He is a son. He is a brother to three siblings, some of whom he has only strained relationships with. He has watched both of his parents die. He is a strong, resilient man. Now, most importantly to me, he is a man, and a father, who is helping me find myself and bring out the resilient woman I hold within.

I am proud to say that I have a wonderful, open, and honest relationship with my parents, and I hope that we never lose that. In recent years, once life and “the real world” really started to take a toll on me, my parents have stepped in and done an amazing thing. They have shared their experiences and thoughts, and in doing so have quite possibly saved my life. I don’t know everything about my parents, and I know that eventually they will be taken from me. I am eternally thankful for the realization that my parents are amazing individuals with intriguing stories. They have taught me so much in the past twenty years, and I yearn for even more. I am a firm believer that communication is the key. I urge parents to tell their children who their parents really are, and to value each and every conversation that they share with their children.