Looking Forward

Amy - Dixon, Illinois

I value my family more than life itself. Growing up they were always there for me. When I would fall trying to learn how to ride my bike, they would help me get up and encourage me to try again. I would never take my family for granted.

When I was sixteen my mother passed away, and I couldn’t do anything about it. I watched her fight for her life. I watched the doctors try to revive her, to keep her with us. “There was nothing that we could do,” he said to me and my father. On the way home, I thought of all the mean things I had said to her. I didn’t know if she knew that I loved her more than anything.

My family said to me that she knew I loved her. I believe that my family members are the most important people in my life. It was just my sister, and my brother and me. I was sixteen living with my older sister, and I have to say I wasn’t very helpful to my sister. She acted like my mother. I was still a child and I definitely acted like one. I knew it was time to grow up.

Over the past two years my family has helped me grow up. I learned through experiences with my family all the things I had to learn. I was polite to people, well mannered, and respectful. My family taught me to be an adult. I now help my older sister with her problems. It is like the roles switched after a couple of months. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if they didn’t help me. I wouldn’t have a job, therefore I would have to rely on my father to take care of all my bills. He respects me more because he doesn’t have to. I am going to be living on my own at the age of eighteen. I am a full-time student and I work full-time. I pay for all my expenses, the things I need or just want to have. I am on my own. I am an adult.