Rising out of the Ash

Andrea - Sterling, Illinois
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The Bible states “Do unto others as you would have done unto you.” I am not a religous person, but I have lived my life according to this statement. I prefer to think of it as Karma, what goes around comes around. I believe that there is good in all human kind, and depending on how I treat them, effects my life.

It wasn’t easy learning this lesson. My life has been a bit of a struggle, with an alcohlic father, bitter and angry mother, and a crazy pack rat grandomther. It was difficult to see good in the world. I grew up with pessimistic views on how life was and lived my life making one bad choice after another. These choices were causing me to be more and more miserable. It took a lot of experience for me to realize that I had to change my behavior in order for the grass to be greener.

I learned valuable lessons from my family. From my father, I learned forgiveness, perserverence from my mother, and compassion from Grandma. With this knowledge, I hve discovered that there is good in every person, and it is up to me to find it.

As I was making bad choices my life was falling apart. I lost a boyfriend to suicide, discovered I had cancer, and lost my house, car and nearly lost my job all in one summer. I have since changed my ways and feel as though I have energed into a stronger, more beautiful person, like the great Phoenix rising out of his ashes. I now have a son, Viktor, and I believe he is th reward for all the wrongs I have made right. He has taught me a lot as well, starting with patience.

Everyone has had to deal with a crabby waitress or disgruntled cashier at some point, but how many people truly understand that maybe that person is just having a bad day, and instead of judgiing their attitude, try makinr hteir day better? This is the wasy I think, “How can I help this person?” In the end, I now know that helping others, in turn, truly helps me.