daniel - Wrightstown, New Jersey
Themes: sports

Love of The Game

I believe in the freedom and passion basketball brings to me. I believe in waking up in the morning thinking about what basketball outfit I’m going to wear today just so that I look good while I win. I believe in walking around neighborhoods looking for people to play against to showcase my skills. I believe in sitting around analyzing people playing and knowing that I’m better than them. I believe in playing against the best player simply because I feed of the cockiness of everyone around me.

A lot of my passion comes from my father, Garry Zimpelmann, who introduced me to sports when I was 7 years old. My father always felt that I could have been a better baseball player, but I felt it wasn’t for me. It was too slow and didn’t keep me entertained. As soon as a basketball touched my hand, I didn’t put it down. I loved dribbling the basketball, learning all the good and new moves that would be showcased on ESPN or And 1 Mix Tapes. My dad didn’t really teach me how to play the game of basketball. I pretty much learned on my own. Playing basketball with friends and in Youth Center Leagues. As I got better many of the parents that attended the games would complain about me being too good to play with their children. So when I was 12 years old, the Youth Center Sports Administrator decided to move me up to the 13 and 14 year old kids. As time went on I continued to play Varsity Basketball all the way through my Senior Year in high school and even made captain of the team.

Throughout high school I was well known for playing basketball. The cheerleaders even had their own cheer for me when I was at the foul line. This made me feel somewhat powerful made me feel important. I felt a sense of acceptance and popularity. Next was college and I was asked to come out to play for the Community College’s team that I was attending. I came out about mid-try outs and started after the first week I was there. The coach referred to me as “coachable and that I had hear”.

There are some people who feel basketball is just a game and you shouldn’t take it seriously. Yes, I agree it may just be a game, but for those who need a place to escape and get away from everyday pain, it is heaven. This is what I do and what I am good. I believe that no matter who thinks they are better than me, I will always be confident and feel I’m the best one on the court.