I Believe in Not Being Afraid.

Brittany - Allentown, Pennsylvania

I believe you should never let being scared stop you. I think by holding yourself back you are missing out on a lot of things. I have come to realize that I do this a lot. In the past I have often been scared to do something but then was talked into it and later realized that it was good for me. I’ve always been a shy person around others. At least until I feel comfortable around them. So I’ve always tried to stay out of new situations because I was scared to venture out and try new things, make new friends, or just meet new people. But when I actually would go outside of my comfort zone I never regretted the outcome. I have however regretted not being brave enough to go out of my comfort zone.

In my freshman year I kind of became more outgoing and I feel that it was because of all the things that I wasn’t scared of trying. I love to play softball, so when I got to high school, I thought that it would be fun to play for my school. I didn’t really like going to the intramurals and practices the first few days though because I didn’t really know the girls that were there and I wasn’t used to the coaches or drills. But I kept going because my mom kept telling me that it would be worth it in the end to have all the new friends. And she was right. I did end up making a lot of new friends and great memories. I had so much fun that softball season. I thank my mom now for encouraging me to try different experiences and I know now that I shouldn’t let me being afraid stop me from doing anything.

Whenever I need to make a decision I always look back on that experience and I tell myself that I should go out and do whatever it is because I know it will only make me a better person or make me a happier person. Whether it be meeting new people at a party or going out for a sports team at your school I think that you should go for it because you’ll most likely look back and think I wish I would have done this or tried this. And wouldn’t you rather look back and proud and happy with all the things you did?