Live life to the fullest

Alex - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in living life to the fullest, in making the best of a bad situation, and always taking something positive out of it. When pursuing a dream, it is important to try your hardest, and never let up; and when you reach your goal, it is imperative that you don’t take your successes for granted. While it is essential to have periods of relaxation in your life, life is short, and you need to make the best of every moment.

It was the fall of eighth grade, and at age 13, I felt invincible. It had always been a dream of mine to play organized football, but in the past, I had never played because of soccer being a conflict. So I did what many teenagers do, I overcommitted myself. I had football practice everyday after school, and then soccer practice at night. At first it wasn’t that bad, it was a lot of rushing around, but it was definitely manageable. However as fall progressed, my homework load began getting heavier, and my deprivation of adequate sleep increased. By mid October, I began playing traveling basketball in addition. I was noticing that I was always tired, and I began to get muscle cramps that would last days at a time. November came along, and football ended, but I tried out for the school basketball team, and I began playing that everyday. As winter break approached, I found that it was becoming harder to catch my breath, and breathing became more difficult during high intensity workouts. My mom started to notice signs of fatigue in me, and she decided to take me to the doctor. After blood tests were taken, the results showed that I had high CPK enzyme levels. Simply put, I wasn’t allowed to play sports for a while. A month went by, and I spent the rest of the season watching from the bench. As I slowly got back into physical activity, I began playing basketball at night on the frozen, snowy pavement of my driveway. Of course, I’ve had injuries in the past, but none that have altered me in such a way.

I could have taken the easy way out, but instead I decided to use this as a learning experience and inspiration to myself. Nowadays, I’m not allowed to lift weights, and I get blood tests occasionally. While I may have pushed myself too much physically, I definitely don’t regret my decision to live life to its fullest.