Maddie - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

“I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed.”

A million dollars, a million mended hearts; but yet still one empty wallet and one clean break. I am neither poor or broken, nor rich or mended, because my blood is not only mine but his. It runs through him with his anger and disappointment, and ignorance and pride, that will never again run through mine because they are no longer cuts but scars, wounded with one realization; some people will never change. I believe you will never be a millionaire if you try to fill your heart with that wasted dollar.

If second chances could fill my dad’s wallet he would need two. You can turn your back and walk away from your daughter, but what you took with you can never be replaced because the truth will live forever. With every tear you cause you prove to me that you are you, nothing more and nothing less, and with everyday, I prove to myself that I can make it without because we both got what we wanted; I’m gone, and I will never have to waste one more dollar. I can no longer blame you because I know I can never change you, but I can change me. I can change me.

He broke me down so I could stand back up- his weakness, my strength. He opened up my eyes- his future, my past. He gave me pain- his suffering, my release. For all the sleepless nights, the tears, the fights- I thank him. For all the hard earned truths, the lies, the disappointment- I thank him. What can take a lifetime he gave to me in fifteen years; he is helping me become a millionaire because he is my change machine, and I can finally see that there is no difference between a dollar and four quarters. I believe you will never be a millionaire if you try to fill your heart with that wasted dollar.