My Part-time Vegetarianism

Michelle - Arcadia, California

I believe that the best of both worlds, my friend, are in the hands of a part-time vegetarian.

I love it.

Being a vegetarian certainly has its benefits. The power in the hands of vegetarians is greater beyond imagination and yet, it is so unnoticeable that we never play the role of a villain. We are passive-aggressive, the brains behind every mission we partake in and the puppeteers of the Pinocchios around us. How many occasions are there when indecisiveness reigns the table of discussion, and everyone willingly hands the responsibility over to the vegetarian of the crowd? “What do you want to eat for dinner, my friend?” they would ask after I tell them of my vegetarianism. Everything soon falls into place because of the words of the all-powerful vegetarian. Yes, I think that vegetarians are the driving forces in society, where the population is generally plagued with indecisiveness and tends to avoid confrontations. I do not manipulate, let alone cause any major damages – at most, you will miss out on a New York T-bone steak for a Korean tofu soup pot. But someone has take the initiative to make a choice – and I have chosen a restaurant – mission accomplished.

I say that I am a part-time vegetarian because I occasionally fall off the bandwagon for a feast fit only for ancient Greek gods and goddesses, otherwise known as a buffet. This apple from the Tree of Knowledge turns disguised vegetarians into full-fledged carnivores. Indulging into plate after plate of Alaskan king crab legs (because seafood is not meat in my vegetarian dictionary, Buffet Edition), I am let loose from the burdens and obligations of a vegetarian and step into the shoes of a carnivore. These are the times when I am given the chance to pause and reflect upon past decisions made – all of which are sunk costs now – and tap into the perspectives of full-time carnivores who bear interests that are different from my own. I will perhaps incorporate these reflections into my decisions in the future, but never will I regret – what is the point of dwelling on the past? So I chew on.

So long as I am not eating with those who have been told that I am “a vegetarian,” I am fine.