james - 2116, Illinois

I Believe In Magic…The Gathering

I believe in many things. I believe in individuality, I believe in competition, I believe in friends and family. There is one thing that I believe in that goes unnoticed by so many people. I believe in this because I feel that it is something more important than a game or hobby. This is something that reveals a persons character and unique personality. I believe, no, I know that this represents more than a card game. I believe in Magic: The Gathering.

For those of you who don’t know what Magic: The Gathering is, think of it as a more complex version of its knock offs; Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and the obscenely unpopular Digimon. I believe in a card game that has been entertaining Americans since 1993 and still has millions of fans all over the world. I believe in something that is different from a bleak board game or an antisocial video game, and I believe in something that involves everyone in a creative and enjoyable pastime. In Magic there are five basic colors of cards; red for mountains, blue for islands, green for forests, black for swamps, and white for plains. Each color contains a unique style of play which reflects a person’s personality. I believe in a card game where the deck is completely customizable and gives its players a view at a person’s character, this makes magic a great way to connect with friends, and an even better way to make new ones. I believe in a card game that is original, unlike Pokémon. Magic has its own unique feel that gives the game a real purpose and game play that gives people an insight to both themselves and other players.

I believe in a card game that contributes more to society than just an international pastime, I believe in a game that brings people closer together, a game that both builds and creates friendships. Not only that but Magic brings us all to one common place, a place where you don’t have to worry about school or work, your only worries are the cards in front of you, and the cards in your hand. I have played Magic many times and I believe that it has positively shaped my personality and brought me to become what I am now. Thus, I believe in Magic: The Gathering.