Judging People

Anna - Sykesville, Maryland

Judging Others

Let’s face it. Every day of our lives, we make mistakes. Big ones, small ones, ones that people all around you notice, ones that only you may notice, even ones that sometimes end friendships. When it comes down to it, mistakes are so common and made every day by everyone. In life, I believe that people are too hard on others and judge people too quickly. Friends and even enemies should be made purely by experiences between the two people rather than story’s that were told, or rumors that were heard and passed on. Growing up, we were always taught different sayings, some that stick with us, some that don’t: Treat others as you would like to be treated, never give up on yourself, never say never, don’t judge a book by its cover, and if you can’t find something nice to say don’t say anything at all. I believe that people try their best to abide by these rules and follow them, but sometimes it just doesn’t work as well as planned. In society now, I believe that people sometimes refuse to talk to people, or get to know a person before even talking to them because of something they have heard. Mistakes are made every day, and people should always be willing to give others a second chance. If we lived our lives just by judging people, without getting to take the time to know them, we would all lose out on so many memories and friendships. My life has consisted of many mistakes. Coming from a small town where everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows what happened last weekend, I know all too well how stories can get twisted and turned well beyond the truth of what actually happened. Monday mornings at school were always full of stories about the most recent party, who was there, what happened, and who did what. I have seen friendships end, enemies made, and fights start all over stupid things and I believe that people, especially friends, should always be understanding of each other and be willing to give each other a second chance.