Hard Work Pays Off

Alex - Remus, Michigan
Themes: work

I believe that hard work is the only way to get ahead in life. If I were to sit back and coast through early life like some of my friends then I would not be where I am at today. I feel that they do not have the same respect for the real life that I do. By the end of high school, I will have a good jumpstart on life compared to others in my graduating class.

At an early age, my parents told me straight up that they were not going to give me everything that I wanted and what they would give me I had to work for it. That speech that they gave me was something that I still remember today. I took what they said to me and applied to my everyday life the day after in school by putting my best foot forward. From that day on, I have tried to give 100% in whatever I do and so far I have reaped the rewards.

This quality that also helped me develop in athletics. I am not the most gifted of athletes but I have attained some great success by having the hardest work ethic on the field. If coaches notice one thing besides raw ability, then it has to be how hard someone works. Whenever I see teammates on my team that is not going 100% and slowing the rest of the team down I get really angry because of how hard the rest of the team is trying to work.

No matter what I am doing now, I have to give it my all or I feel empty inside. I have also developed a trait of trying to outdo whoever else is doing the same thing that I am. If someone beats me on a test score, then I feel like I lost. If my team loses, then I feel like there had to have been something that I could have done to prevent that from happening. In the end, I could not have been happier that my parents gave me that speech at such a young age so that I could use them early on in life to develop them into what they are today.