Overcoming Fear

Ashlyn - Sears, Michigan
Themes: fear, setbacks

Overcoming Fear

Has there ever been anything that you’ve feared? Well, January 14, 2007 I got into my first car accident. It was a rollover and very scary. All I can remember is that I was driving down the road and then my steering wheel and brakes locked up and I went off the road, rolled three times, took out three parts of a fence, and landed in the middle of a field.

I can honestly say that being in that car accident has been the scariest thing that I have ever done. After I got into the accident I refused to drive again… actually I even was scared just to ride in a car with someone else driving. Four months had gone by and I decided that I would give driving a try. Well, I ended up being scared, but I decided to keep telling myself that if I didn’t start driving again now that I would probably never drive again. It was May and I decided to go get a new car and continue driving and I have been driving ever since. It has been over a year since I got into that accident and I would like to keep on going without any more accidents.

I’m sure that like many other people I have feared many things in my life… from the time I was a little kid until now. Like when you were a little kid and scared of the dark. Well I was scared of the dark until I was 15 years old. To overcome that fear one day I shut my bedroom door at night when I went to bed and ever since then I haven’t been scared of the dark.

I know that everyone has had a fear of something or other in his or her lifetime and if they haven’t yet then I know that they will. I would also like to let those people know that there is a way to overcome your fear. All you have to do is face your fear. I believe that if you face your fear that you will overcome that fear with time. I did and so can you.

I also believe that with my experience of getting into that car accident has made me a better driver. It has also made me more aware of my surroundings and of the things that can happen just from driving a car. I also believe that this accident has made me a better person inside and out.