Hockey Pursuit

James - Stanwood, Michigan

My name is James I’m 17 years old and I and a senior. Right now I have a problem with my short time in life to start and play hockey. My dream is to play on a professional team like the Detroit Red Wings but I haven’t been playing as long as most of the players that play for any professional team. But right now there was a player for the Red Wings that was traded that never started to play hockey until he was 16 years old.

Right now I’m one year older than he was but I am hoping that I have enough determination that I would need to make it to a professional level of hockey. I come from a military background that basically limited my hockey playing. I generally stuck to street hockey and I did actually get to play on a roller hockey team when I was 15. Now is my first time playing ice hockey and I’m nervous because I do not know how well I will perform and not sure that I am going to be able to handle all the hitting and the pressure that comes with the sport.

Even though I said that my hope was to make it to a professional team I can honestly say that I hope that I can make it through a season of hockey and learn as much as I can.

I know that I need to learn to skate much faster and to handle the puck a fair amount better. I’ve noticed that this isn’t much of hope. I know that if I hope enough and keep that hope alive I will make it no matter how long it takes. I am out to make a name for myself and make enough money to last me a while and to support a family when I get one. To everyone out there I’m telling you that you don’t need to give up hope just because of your background. Things will get better but only if you make them better for you not anyone else.