My Miracle

Sara - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: parenthood

My Miracle

I hold my world in the palms of my hands, and that is my son. He means everything to me, but things didn’t start off that way. I had different priorities before I got pregnant. And they consisted of going to school, getting my own place and once I got out of school having a successful job. Only after I got pregnant those dreams changed. Those dreams are still there, but he is my number one priority now. He has become my inspiration for everything I do and he doesn’t even know it yet.

When I got pregnant, my friends and family were the last people to think I would be the one to have a baby. I had my life planned out and a baby would just get in the way of the goals I had at the time. I had fallen in love with a man I thought was the man of my dreams. But he turned out to be a man I didn’t even know at all. He didn’t like it that our hopes weren’t the same. And when he said it was my choice to either keep or give the baby up for adoption something came over me and I decided to keep him. The man that gave me that choice ended up leaving but he gave me the best part of him.

I always wanted to have kids. And when I found out I was carrying a baby I got that chance; I think that if I would’ve given him up for adoption, later on in life I would loose that chance. Everyone only gets one chance to live and now my son gets to have his. I know that raising a child is hard and some things in life just don’t come easy but loving him is the easiest thing I’ve ever had to do.

My dreams and hopes are now within him and I hope one day he is able to see how much I love him and how easy it was to do the things I want to do by having him in my life. Some people say that your kids don’t know how much you love them until you have children of your own. I believe that is true because believing that I can be a mother has made me the person I’ve always wanted to be. I don’t know where I would be without my son and I don’t really remember who I was before him.