Each Everyday Task is a Meditation

Mary-Alice - Port Angeles, Washington
Age Group: 65+

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe that each everyday task is a meditation and carries its own song and teaching.

Any simple thing I do is to an inner music. I respond to the rhythm of walking a hill path, or washing dishes. Shoveling snow becomes a dancing chant of cold. Laundry chores have a rich chorus of cleansing and of visual poetic motion. The hum of a computer or the note sustained by the refrigerator, heard while writing late at night, are mantras quietly intoned for me to incorporate into my work. I groom my beloved animals to a sweep and flow of intrinsic melodies, full of soft textures and vibrant aromas, a full sensory multi-dimensional meditation.

I begin the task, and the rhythm of it finds me, guides my movements, composes the song inside, focusing me inward and outward all at once. The creativity of it overtakes me and the aural anthem begins in my head. I view my own self as if apart from it.

Being present when death calls is a profound contemplation. Holding a favorite animal when its spirit gains needed release imprints an indelible song in me, each time for each creature. Cradling my father in my arms and feeling the instant his soul left his weary and battered body was the rarest of privileges and the ultimate Om. It will be surpassed only by my own exit song when it is time.

I believe that these meditations serve to inform my awareness in intimate ways, so that I can know my own body and spiritual rhythms and how they echo those of the world around me, and indeed those of the universe. Thus is the cosmos evident in me. I believe that these modest realizations can lead to the satori longed for by Zen masters.