The Truth Shall Set You Free

Dyana - Buda, Texas
Themes: integrity

I believe honesty is the best policy: that you should tell the truth no matter what.

I have been living for 15 years, and about a year ago I learned the most important lesson you learn. I was running an errand for my mom, I had borrowed the car and what happened next effected the next week.

I was backing out of the driveway, when all of a sudden…BAM! I hit a fence post, knocking off the passenger mirror. Terrified, I speed out of the driveway and down the street. That’s when I begun to think of things to tell my mom.

While driving to the store I came up with a story: I had arrived to the store a guy in a red Ford opened his door into my mirror. I screamed, cursed, and yelled at him while he drove off. I thought it was flawless, but I was wrong.

I got home. I was a wreck. I was shaking, crying, and nervous. I told her the story, she bought it! All of my worries went away. About a week later the guilt started to get to me.

Three days went by; I couldn’t eat, sleep, or focus on anything. I literally cracked under the pressure. I spent nights fidgeting, and days freaking out. My grades started to slip. I told.

I spent a week and a half suffering. My brain was scattered. One Friday night I walked up to her and confessed, but what I got back was totally surprising.

She already knew? How could that have happened? I was stunned. Apparently my younger brother has seen the incident. What I didn’t get is how she just went along with it. I guess she was doing the right thing in the end. I was grounded, but I believe I deserved it.

I haven’t lied since. After the accident I will admit I was a little too honest with people. And I paid for that too. I just truly hope that everyone learns this lesson. Its probably the most important one anyone could and should learn.