Dartmouth

shane - Buda, Texas
Themes: pleasure

Debate, being the tiresome activity that it is, kicked into full gear this summer for me. I attended debate camp at Dartmouth in Hanover, New Hampshire, and was taught by an amazing staff. But the focus of this isn’t the debate information (most of you wouldn’t understand), but about the memory of it.

I remember having fun. Not necessarily because of the Workshop itself, but because of the numerous rules that I broke. My sidekick for the 3-and-a-half week event was Bill Shannon, my debate partner here at Hays High School.

We stayed in college dorms, and once, we threw all of our trash at another person’s window. We threw everything from empty pizza boxes to shampoo and conditioner. And the recipient of our trash barrage returned fire with pizza crust hard as rock. It turned from an innocent trash fight to an all out war.

After noticing a lull in enemy fire, I snuck over to the room. The door was unlocked and the room was empty. I hid inside a closet and waited for Chris. He arrived, and I tackled him to the ground while hitting him with a clothes hanger. Bill continued to launch unwanted items from our room. The trash got everywhere, and before Bill and I had a chance to pick it up, someone else did. I felt really bad about making somebody else do that, but it was still funny.

When I think about Dartmouth, I remember having fun. All that fun wouldn’t have existed if I didn’t break the rules. Sometimes it’s a necessary thing. To break free from all obligations and contracts and do whatever you want for just a little while. Sometimes personal happiness transcends everything else- it’s a great thing.