At seventeen years old.

nick - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: purpose, question

Choosing what you want to do for the rest of your life is a monumental decision that everyone has to make. I am seventeen. I am still learning how to cope with peer pressure and the instructions on the back of the Easy-Mac box. How can I be expected to know what I want out of life?

As I approach that age where it is time to choose which college I would like to attend, what degree I want to pursue, and what I want to do for the rest of my life, my mind begins to race uncontrollably. It seems lately that the only thing my parents, aunts and uncles want to converse about is my career path.

Yes, I know this is an extremely important subject but I just have no freakin’ idea! I mean come on now, I am seventeen years old for God sake. My favorite things to do are hang out with my friends, cause trouble and go to the lake. Now if you can encompass all of these things into a job where I am making at least six figures a year, baby, sign me up! But as likely as this job is I am stuck at seventeen without the slightest clue of what I want to do for the rest of my life. And to me, this is one hundred and ten percent okay.

Through my eyes someone who is only seventeen years of age is still growing up therefore has more learning, maturing and experience to gain before they are capable of selecting the right road for themselves. Don’t get me wrong, though, there are those prodigy children out there who fly out of the womb knowing damn well they are going to be the best doctor or lawyer in town. As for me and several other million teenagers though, this is not the case.

It’s like being a kid in a candy shop. There you are standing with all of your delicious options in front of you. They all sound so mouth watering and appetizing, but choosing just one for the rest of your life is virtually impossible.