Respect for the Little Man

Stephen - Lexington, North Carolina
Themes: respect

Many people tend to look down on people that work in fast food restaurants. For those who have worked at one, they understand that it is not as easy as people might think. I was employed at McDonald’s for about 2 1/2 years. I started about a month after I turned 16, and ended my employment this summer. Many people looked down on me because I worked there. The majority of these people were students whose parents were able to pay for all of the “luxuries” such as a car, and a cell phone. The rest of these students had to work a part time job (maybe 15 to 20 hours a week), while their parents would still help out with the big expenses and the job was for spending money. While employed at McDonald’s, I would work from 30 to 37 hours a week while still in school. Often going straight from school to work. Do not think that I am complaining by any means, as it was a valuable learning experience. I am glad that my parents made me learn how to manage my money. It would just aggravate me to see people look down on me just because i had to work to earn my “extras”.