Lessons

Kerry - Centerville, Ohio

I believe in clean breaks. The philosophy of clean breaks says that, once a relationship or any other event in your life is over, then it should be over for good. That has proved to be a good standard to live by in my life so far, for myself and for others. When I was five years old, I had become used to hearing my parents argue daily. They seemed so unhappy to me, and I never could understand why they were together if all they did was fight. That was very mature thinking for such a young age, but even then things were bad enough that I knew something was wrong. So I wasn’t at all surprised when I was seven years old, and my parents told me they were getting a divorce. Of course at the time it was sad for me to not live with my mother anymore, but I soon realized that it was really a blessing in disguise. They both seemed so much happier when they were not together, and that taught me a very important life lesson.

Since then, I have tried my best to apply this principle to my own life. It has recently proven to be very difficult when put into practice. About two months ago, I ended things with my boyfriend of a year and a half. It was a difficult decision to make, and an even more difficult decision to live with. For weeks afterward, I felt regret and loneliness, wishing I could somehow win him back. It took a lot of willpower to keep my head. I tried to remember why I had broken up with him in the first place, but to no avail. It all seemed petty to me in retrospect. But when I thought of the important lesson that my mother and father taught me, I was better able to cope with the sadness that I felt, and better able to leave my ex-boyfriend in the past, and move on to my future. I am grateful for that revelation, because it lessened and eventually ended the heartache that was tearing me apart inside. Now I am happy to say that I have moved on and embraced my new future without him. Clean breaks end all hope for a future relationship, but in reality, that can sometimes be the best gift you can give yourself. This I believe.