A Believer In Self

Victoria - Gambrills, Maryland

I believe that life is not a series of rules, as many religions make it out to be. It is about being who you wish to be. It is about discovering who you are, self-improvement, expression of self, and love. Being the best person you can be. For me, my friends, my family, and myself. My values differ from those around me. I value myself equally to those I love. I sacrifice. I do not live to worship. I live to live. I believe that discovery in ones self is not accomplished through beating down the door of God until He answers. It is about acknowledging who you are and who you want to be, if they are not the same people. Epiphanies do not come because we pray for years and an idea is suddenly thrust into our heads from a God. I am not a skeptic. I am a believer in self.

We discover things about our self through interactions with others, whether it our pet, a random squirrel, our friends, or the annoying guy on the elevator. These things lead us down the path of self-improvement, which continues until the day we die. A life well lived is not one consumed by worship. It is one where we are the best we can be.

This I believe.